Monday, July 14, 2008

My yukata

Remember how I said Joe's anniversary present to me would be a yukata? Well we met up with our private Japanese teacher recently and went to the Fukuya department store to go buy one. As it turns out we were able to buy a yukata off the rack instead of having one made. Since it's really kind of like a big bathrobe, there's not a whole lot of tailoring involved.

Anyway, this is me looking like a goof in the yukata. The sales ladies were nice enough to let me try several on while I tried to decide which one I liked the best. Joe took a picture of me in each one so I could compare, but it didn't occur to me at the time that this would really be the only picture I'd have to show you until I actually wear the yukata to a real event. So since I wasn't worried about looking all glamorous in the photo, this is all we've got. But at least you can see what it looks like. I liked the little blue leaves on this yukata. I thought they were pretty. I'm not sure when I'll wear it yet, but I think I'm going to avoid wearing it the next couple months when it's super hot. I want to avoid soaking this thing in sweat since the sales ladies told us that we shouldn't put it in the washing machine, and we shouldn't dry clean it either. So it will have to be just hand wash.

Even though the sales lady dressed me in different yukata several times, I'm still not entirely sure how she wrapped it up. It's kind of complicated. But she told me that I'm welcome to come back to the store and they'll help me put it on when I want to wear it.