Friday, December 21, 2007

Deck the halls with...

Steamed fish paste balls!

So this was what awaited me when I took the lid off my bento at lunch today. "Oh!" I thought, "A treat!"

And why not? It was pink and green and kind of resembled mochi (pounded rice treat) on a stick.

The teacher sitting next to me was quite amused by the look of horror that flashed across my face when she informed me that it was not mochi, but in fact steamed fish paste, which sounds about as appetizing to me as the fish sausage sold at our neighborhood supermarket.

It was dyed red and green, she explained, to celebrate Christmas.

MMMMMmmmmmm!

So even though it wasn't a dessert, I pretended it was and saved it 'til the end. I kinda had to psych myself up to eat it.

As it turns out, it wasn't so bad. It had a faint taste of fish but for the most part it was pretty tasteless and just had a weird chewy consistency.

This is my lot in life for now, I suppose. No chocolate-peanut butter Christmas cookies this year! Just dyed, steamed fish paste. Ganbatte! (Persevere!)